Take advantage of these 6 tips to improve your health this summer while enjoying some fun in the sun!
- Quit smoking. It’s never too late to quit. Did you know HealthTeam Advantage’s Living Plus has a quit smoking program? If you’re interested email your Healthcare Concierge or sign up here and a coach will contact you. The program is a series of three classes via telephone and rather than quitting cold turkey, your coach will guide you with the warm chicken approach that slowly weans your body off nicotine by switching to cigarette brands with less and less nicotine.
- Eat a healthy diet. Adding fruits and vegetables to your meals can make any summer meal healthier. Try grilling vegetables or making fruit skewers for your next BBQ.
- Move more, sit less! It’s recommended to get 150 minutes of physical activity a week. Try an early morning or evening brisk walk for 20-30 minutes.
- Keep cool in extreme heat. Extreme heat can be dangerous, especially if you have an existing condition. Make sure to keep your air condition working properly while drinking plenty of water. Place a water bottle next to your chair to remind yourself to take a sip.
- Wear sunscreen and insect repellent. Sunscreen protects us from harmful rays. Aim for using SPF 15 when your outside. Protect yourself from the sun and insects by wearing log sleeves and pants if it’s cool enough. If you use both SPF and insect repellent, apply sunscreen first!
- Rethink your drink. Swap out your sweet tea and soda with water to lower the sugar and reduce calories. Try adding fresh fruit to your water to jazz up the flavor.
Source: Center for Disease Control